When completed in 1933, this Beaux-Arts building was the primary federal office building in San Francisco. A contributing property, it defines the eastern end of the San Francisco Civic Center National Historic Landmark District and is important as an example of the City Beautiful Movement. Although the building has always remained a federal property, it closed after the 1989 earthquake. Ultimately, the General Services Administration received approval to renovate the building for its own offices and the project was funded under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act stimulus funds. In addition to interior rehabilitation and renovation for offices, seismic upgrade, and accessibility improvements, GSA set ambitious goals for sustainability. Knapp Architects prepared rehabilitation drawings, schedules, and specifications for rehabilitation of historic interior spaces, doors and hardware, augmentation and accessibility upgrades to 24 historic toilet rooms while maintaining their general configuration and original materials.