Constructed in 1932, the historic Viavi Building was a factory for natural homeopathic products and reflects playful elements of the late Mission Revival style with its painted white façade, decorative wrought iron, industrial steel sash windows, cast concrete moldings, and clay tile roof. The building’s L-shape, formed by a two-story brick east wing and four-story concrete north wing with tower, wraps an exterior courtyard enclosed by a brick and wrought iron yard wall. The exterior brick and cast concrete facades are detailed with industrial steel casement windows and wrought iron balconies and window security grilles. The project for a new Montessori school took advantage of the quaint architecture and courtyard, restoring the exterior and retrofitting and adapting the gutted interior for new classrooms. The courtyard was landscaped for play and a new accessible ramp was added. The project was conceived, planned, approved, and constructed in quick succession to provide much-needed daycare facilities close to the Civic Center. Knapp Architects reviewed the building history and code issues, consulted on the design of the new ramp, and prepared presentation materials for city approvals. We prepared rehabilitation drawings and specifications for the exterior including rehabilitation of brick, concrete, clay tile, and decorative mission tile; and designed street signage, a new tower entrance canopy, and details for the replication of delicate wrought iron work.