Russian Hill House
San Francisco, California
This eclectic historic house is a conglomeration of several phases of construction, which began in 1862 and culminated in the 1930s, with an addition and gardens designed by renowned local landscape architect, Thomas Church, a resident of the property. Our firm prepared a Historical Evaluation Report on the property and architectural drawings for property improvements. Along with a seismic retrofit of the building foundations, the owners decided to renovate the basement, with its irregular spaces and low ceilings, to make it more usable. The construction included lowering of the existing floor level, new foundations, installation of shear wall panels, sub-slab drainage, new finishes, cabinetry, lighting, MEP work, a toilet
room and storage space. Knapp Architects continues to work on the property as architects for the structural improvements and repair of the failing wood-framed yard wall.