Santa Clara County, California
The Alma College site has a long history from timber harvesting and milling in the 1850s, the site of rural estates at the turn-of-the-century, and culminating in the establishment of Alma College, the first Jesuit theological seminary on the west coast from 1934 to 1969. During this era, several buildings were constructed and a formal campus landscape was developed. Knapp Architects reviewed the history of the site and coordinated geotechnical, structural, architectural, and landscape surveys of the site’s landscape and its structures, including buildings and landscape features. The compiled assessment included survey data, analyses, and the summary of the findings and how they influence future development. The assessment, commissioned by the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District, is actively used by both the District Staff and the Board of Directors to determine the future of this site.